[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 943: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'America/New_York' for 'EDT/-4.0/DST' instead
North American Motorsports Pages • View topic - Dick's longbox proposal

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dick's longbox proposal
Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:15 pm 
Site Admin

As those of you on Dick Stewart's email distribution know, he's proposed that NARRC go longbox only for Formula V. I think this idea has a lot of merit, but I also think that everyone needs to understand the issues before proposing it to the NARRC committee at a NEDiv minicon or roundtable.
Specifically, a restricted V would need to be a new V class alongside the standard GCR V class. NARRC would still need to offer the straight GCR class. This only becomes an issue because of the failure of Club V a couple of years back; proponents of the longbox only class will need to go in prepared to explain why it won't fail due to insufficient entry the way Club V did. I think the longbox proposal has a much better chance of succeeding because of the substantial potential cost savings, which would make it very attractive, but the NARRC V community needs to be ready to make that case.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:55 pm 

While I like the idea, I don't think it will fly as it has too many issues to overcome. On a personal level most of my NARRC points typically occur at NHIS at NERRC/NARRC events. Unless NERRC events are included this proposal, it falls down as it will likely create a problem between the two series that are dependent on each other. In considering this last year and again now I have the following concerns about this proposal:

- Division of the FV regional participants based on different rules for NERRC/NAARC.
- Choosing between NERRC and/or NARRC for series participation and points if the rules are different. At the moment regardless of transmission a good finish at NHIS ensures maximum points for both series.
- Where does the FV class fit into this and if a racer comes to race with a shortbox, can he/she race to renew their license?
- Adopting a rule that has less than 100% agreement by existing participants. The FV rules are well defined and have worked for a long time. I don't like changing gearboxes either but it is and has been a part of racing a FV.
- Would the proposal include a standard rear tire size and 3rd gear ratio? Is a 1:26 3rd ok or is the 1:22 required? Creates another issue.
- For guys that toggle between National and Regional level participation this is a moot point as gearboxes changes will occur anyway.

The reality is we are talking about a few race weekends in the NARRC series that occur primarily at NHIS and a long box can be run there based on personal choice. There does not need to be a forced requirement for this and some of the guys I know who race fairly exclusive to NHIS no longer have longboxes. All things considered I think the longbox proposal needs to be tabled.

Jim Regan

Post subject: re license renewal/coexistence
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

A long box only NARRC V class cannot supplant GCR FV, it can only exist along side of it. anybody who shows up with a short box would be a normal, GCR FV, just not a NARRC V. Having two parallel V classes at NARRC events won't preclude people from racing & renewing licenses.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: FV and Narrc FV's cant' coexist in a single series
Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:55 pm 

[color=blue][size=9]rwelty wrote>>anybody who shows up with a short box would be a normal, GCR FV, just not a NARRC V. Having two parallel V classes at NARRC events won't preclude people from racing & renewing licenses<<[/size][/color]

If I'm allowed to run as FV in the NARRC series and others run NARRC FV (NFV) wouldn't there be two separate sets of champions? Doesn't NARRC also race with the NYSSRC championship at the Glenn which I'm told is shortbox track? Before the reply comes that the Glenn can be either or, one can make the same argument about NHIS.

More important is getting this idea adopted will require the concensus of 3 sets of governing boards, organizers and competitors. I think that will be a difficult task. My input remains to do nothing!
Jim Regan

Post subject: Long Box Proposal
Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:37 am 

The long box proposal has been made before, in fact it was part of the previously mentioned Club Vee class.

The idea of a spec transmission makes lots of sense, and many of the classes like Spec Racer, SS and others essentially have one.

The problem is how do we get there from here?

Jim makes some good points that need to be addressed. Without addressing these items, you end up with a divided class, instead of increasing numbers by bringing out cars that are sitting in garages.

Point 1: There already is a split in the NE. There are NHIS FV racers and then everyone else. There are many reasons, like the good schedule at NHIS and the price of entry fees at Lime Rock. If these drivers will not come to LR (or other track) then they have no reason to go to a long box.

Point 2: If people have a short box only, they will have a hefty cost to move to a long box. (I don't know if the shortage of long R & P is still a problem or has that gone away)

If 10 drivers who are not racing right now would come back because of going to a long box, it would be worth creating a seperate class.

On the other hand if NARRC goes to a long box:

If drivers from NHIS are not going to other tracks, then they are not running in the NARRC Series for points anyway, so you would still have one class, just multiple points races within a race. If you finish 2nd at NHIS but are the first "NARRC" driver, then you would get 1st NARRC points but 2nd NERRC points. Would people be willing to race like that? Is that any different than what is happening now?

ChrisZ