West Haven Speedway was a paved 1/5 mile oval located on the waterfront in West Haven, Connecticut.
The track was somewhat unusually shaped, being built around a baseball diamond named Donovan Field (named after "Wild Bill" Donovan, a manager of the NY Yankees.)
Thanks to Scott K and Johnny W for detailed information about the location of this track.
The track operated briefly as a 1/5 mile dirt oval from July 7th, 1935 to October 27th, 1935. It reopened as a paved 1/5 mile on May 28th, 1936 and operated until September 11th, 1941. It reopened after WWII on August 30th, 1945 and continued operating until 1965. It also operated as West Haven Motordrome, and the surrounding/adjacent facility was at times called Savin Rock Amusement Park.
|Allan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 185. Order from National Speedway Directory|
West Haven Speedway
Captain Thomas Blvd
West Haven, CT 06516
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.