Santa Fe Speedway operated 2 dirt ovals of 7/16 and 1/4 miles, located in Willow Springs, Illinois on the outskirts of Chicago.
The original track on this site was Santa Fe Park, built by Frederick Tiedt. Originally for horses, it was used for cars in the 1920s. Sources give its length as either 1/2 mile or 1/4 mile. The grandstands were destroyed by a tornado in the late 20s and racing ceased.
Tiedt's son Harold built the two new ovals after WWII. The 7/16 mile oval opened on May 31st, 1953. Both ovals operated from 1953 until 1995 when the track was sold for development.
|Allan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 269. Order from National Speedway Directory|
Santa Fe Speedway
Willow Springs, IL 60480
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
Click on the box below for more detailed weather information, including a forecast for the next several days.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.