Los Angeles Coliseum was the location of a number of oval tracks over the years. The last race there took place in 1948.
A 1/4 mile wood oval for motorcycles operated at this site in 1909 in the old Agricultural park. The coliseum itself was built in 1923. A 1/4 mile dirt oval operated from 1938 through 1942. A 1/4 mile paved oval operated from October 11th, 1945 through March 16th, 1948. A 1/4 mile wood oval operated from July 10th, 1948 through August 13th, 1948. Racing ended when driver Jack Habermehl died from injuries sustained in the race on August 13th.
|Alan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 145. Order from National Speedway Directory|
|Gordon Eliot White, Lost Race Tracks: Treasures of Automobile Racing. Hudson, Wisconsin: Iconographix, 2006 , ISBN 1583880844 , pp. 16. Order from Powell's Books|
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
Click Here for more detailed weather information.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.