Packard Proving Grounds contained a 2.5 mile concrete oval, located in Utica, Michigan.
The proving grounds opened June 14th, 1928. At least on exhibition race was run here and Leon Duray ran a 148.17 mph lap here in a supercharged, FWD Miller Indianapolis car.
The property was purchased by Ford after Packard went out of business. It now appears to be used for a variety of things, but the oval is still visible. The Google Map overlay suggests some streets have been built or are planned for the interior of the track.
|Gordon Eliot White, Lost Race Tracks: Treasures of Automobile Racing. Hudson, Wisconsin: Iconographix, 2006 , ISBN 1583880844 , pp. 52. Order from Powell's Books|
|Allan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 385. Order from National Speedway Directory|
Packard Proving Grounds
23 Mile Road
Utica, MI 48317
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
Click Here for more detailed weather information.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.