Trenton Speedway was a large oval that passed through a number of interesting configurations during its life, finishing as a rather unusual 1 1/2 mile kidney bean shaped paved oval. The track was located on the Trenton Fairgrounds (New Jersey State Fairgrounds) on the east side of Trenton, New Jersey.
The first auto race at Trenton was held on September 24th, 1900 on a 1/2 mile dirt oval. A second was held on September 7th, 1907 and regular racing started in 1912 and ran to October 12th, 1941. Racing resumed on May 5th, 1946 on a 1 mile dirt oval. The last race on dirt was held on September 30th, 1956, and the track reopened as a 1 mile paved oval on June 23rd, 1957. This oval was used through 1968, at which point it was expanded from the conventional oval to the 1.5 mile "kidney bean" shaped oval. It ran in this form through 1980. The fairgrounds were torn down in 1983.
The track was also operated as Trenton International Speedway.
|Gordon Eliot White, Lost Race Tracks: Treasures of Automobile Racing. Hudson, Wisconsin: Iconographix, 2006 , ISBN 1583880844 , pp. 70.|
|Allan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 466. Order from National Speedway Directory|
|Don Radbruch, Dirt Track Auto Racing, 1919-1941: A Pictoral History. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company, 2004 , ISBN 0786417250 , pp. 215,222.|
Trenton, NJ 08619
The lake in the Google image is in the middle of the area occupied by the 1.5 mile oval. The roads through the housing development to the east of the lake appear to roughly fall on the path of the east side of the oval.
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.