Freeport Speedway was a 1/4 mile paved oval located in Freeport, New York. The site is now the location of a BJ's Wholesale Club.
The track was built as a WPA project during the depression. It opened as a 1/5 mile cinder track for motorcycles in 1933. Midget racing on the cinder track started on May 4th, 1935, running through early 1939. The track reopened as a paved 1/5 mile oval on June 16th, 1939, operating through September 23rd, 1941. An outlaw race was run in 1944. Racing resumed after WWII on August 30th, 1945, running through 1974. The track length was increased to 1/4 mile for 1975, and ran through September 24th, 1983 in this form. The town was unable to find a promoter after 1983, and an attempted revival several years later was shot down.
The track was also refered to as Freeport Stadium and Freeport Municipal Stadium.
Gary London, Lecture, Saratoga Auto Museum, 2007-11-24
|Allan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 487. Order from National Speedway Directory|
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
Click on the box below for more detailed weather information, including a forecast for the next several days.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.