Sioux Falls Fairgrounds was the site of a number of ovals and drag strips.
The original 1/2 mile dirt oval operated from August 21st, 1939 to August 23rd, 1941. It reopened from August 20th, 1946 through August 30th, 1953. It was located on the old Minnehaha County Fairgrounds. The new 1/2 mile oval was built about 1/2 mile away at the new fairground complex. It operated from July 11th, 1954 through October 3rd, 1993, and from 1997 through September 26th, 1999. A 1/4 mile dragstrip operated from July 15th, 1972 through 1974. A 1/8 mile dragstrip operated from 1986 through 1988.
Other names associated with this track include Sioux Empire Fairgrounds Race Track, Fred Buckmiller Race Track, Empire Dragway, Thunderdome Dragway and Lion's Fairgrounds.
|Alan E. Brown, The History of America's Speedways: Past & Present. Comstock Park, Michigan: Brown, 2003 , ISBN 0931105617 , pp. 664. Order from National Speedway Directory|
|Gordon Eliot White, Lost Race Tracks: Treasures of Automobile Racing. Hudson, Wisconsin: Iconographix, 2006 , ISBN 1583880844 , pp. 105. Order from Powell's Books|
The terra server link shows the final track on the site ca. 1991.
For information on how these aerial images work, Click Here.
Click Here for more detailed weather information.
You may also wish to try using the Yahoo! Search as it may produce current news items.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 2.5 License.